A Mississippi resident has suffered a blood clot after getting the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine. He has become partially paralyzed on half of his body, unable to walk, and is incapable of speaking.

Brad Malagarie, 43, of St. Martin, was having a typical day when it all went wrong. After a morning at work on Tuesday, April 13, Malagarie received a Johnson & Johnson vaccine about midday.

His work colleagues found him unconscious at his desk three hours after he received the vaccine.

“They called me and said he had that vaccine, and something is wrong; we think it’s a stroke,” said his aunt, Celeste Foster O’Keefe.

According to a report from news station WLOX, Malagarie, the father of seven children, was rushed to the hospital and diagnosed with a stroke caused by a blood clot to his brain.

“I said be sure to tell the doctors he took that J&J vaccine and that, to me, is what caused his stroke,” his aunt said.

O’Keefe added her nephew’s only medical problem was blood pressure, which he managed with medicine, but he was, however, a “young, healthy” guy before the vaccination.

He is still paralyzed down the right side of his body due to the medical incident. “He can’t talk now, and he can’t walk. He’s paralyzed on the right side. He knows who we are, and he will just cry when he sees us,” said his aunt.

Doctors don’t know how long it will be before he recovers, but they expect him to take at least a year of rehabilitation after he leaves the hospital, according to O’Keefe.

On Tuesday, federal regulators halted the use of the one-dose Johnson & Johnson shot after six adults aged 18 to 48 formed blood clots, one of whom died.

On Tuesday, the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) advised all doctors, clinics, and hospitals to avoid using the Johnson & Johnson vaccine before the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration provide more information.

Though MSDH’s news was too late to save her nephew, O’Keefe claimed the family also experienced some comfort discovering the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is no longer in distribution.

“I’m glad it was taken off the market. If you can help one person, you’ve stopped a world of pain for that whole family. I mean, maybe it’s only been a handful of people affected, but when it’s your family, it doesn’t feel like a handful,” she said.

On his long journey through rehabilitation, Malagarie’s family is running a Facebook fundraiser to assist in paying some of his health expenses.

One New Jersey man has been hospitalized with the CCP Virus (COVID-19) five weeks after he was immunized in related news.

On March 10, a woman from Brooklyn contracted COVID-19 after receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at the Javits Center.

From Brooklyn, Ashley Allen, 31, said she was infected with the virus after receiving the J&J vaccine three weeks earlier.

Several reports of post-vaccine horror stories have surfaced in local news outlets around the country. Still, it is unknown how many people have contracted COVID-19 since getting the shots.


Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.