A father is pleading with people to delay giving more cash to support his 10 newborn children.
Teboga Tsotetsi wants everyone to postpone donating money until he shows photographic proof of his decuplets.
“I appreciate the financial support that we have been getting from members of the public but I also would like to appeal to the public to stop making money deposits into our accounts, until members of the community have seen the babies,” he said according to the New York Post.
The South African revealed his wife, Gosiame Sithole, left home and has not been seen since June 7. The 37-year-old mother is understood to have successfully delivered all 10 infants after midnight on June 8. However, no credible source has been able to verify this.
Tsotetsi claims he was prevented from seeing the babies due to government restrictions to help contain the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Virus.
However, the Mediclinic Medforum Hospital in Pretoria denied administering any primary health treatment to Sithole during pregnancy.
According to the Daily Mail, South African Department of Social Development spokeswoman Feziwe Ndwayana was similarly unable to confirm whether the mother gave birth to the babies.
Even local authorities could not locate the mother at any public or private healthcare service provider, let alone produce any relevant record of births.
Since nobody is able to confirm the decuplets exist, doubt is growing about the authenticity of the sensational story.
VIDEO 1.— Pretoria News (@pretorianews) June 9, 2021
Decuplets mother Gosiame Sithole and her husband, Teboho Tsotetsi on their first reaction when doctors told them about the 10 babies, and the unique pregnancy. #GuinnessWorldRecord #NationalBabyShower @IndyMediaSA @pietrampedi pic.twitter.com/op2By5nMMC
Pretoria News, which first broke the story, claims it postponed publishing articles on the topic until the babies were born. The paper now refuses to release further details of the delivery due to “cultural and religious reasons,” according to the Daily Mail.
An aunt of the infants explained the hesitancy is due to the 10 newborns struggling for life at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
“[The babies] are still in incubators fighting for their lives,” she said according to the TimesLIVE. “They came at 29 weeks; the mother is still weak … [and] this is a sensitive issue.”
The aunt also claimed Sithole previously gave birth to five babies through a Caesarean section procedure at the Mediclinic Medforum Hospital.
“[Sithole] had a difficult pregnancy at first; she left work around four months [into pregnancy,]” she said. “She did not really have cravings or hectic pregnancy sickness [and] she just could not stomach meat.”
Tsotetsi traveled to Cape Town to accept a £50,000 ($69,982) gift on June 16, promising to reveal his 10 babies to the world when the time is right.
If the decuplet delivery is verified, it will set a new world record just weeks after a Malian mother, Halima Cisse, gave birth to nine newborns in Morocco.