Capitol police officer Brian Sicknick, 42, died the following day after responding to the January 6 riots on Capitol Hill. The protesters stormed the Capitol as lawmakers counted electoral votes to confirm President Joe Biden’s victory against Donald Trump. News reports said that the 13-year veteran had been beaten with a fire extinguisher, but the medical examiner determined that Sicknick had two strokes and died of “natural” causes.

The New York Times reported in February, when updating its report on the Capitol riot, that “law enforcement officials initially said Mr. Sicknick was struck with a fire extinguisher, but weeks later, police sources and investigators were at odds over whether he was hit.”

Sicknick’s death was “natural” and caused by two strokes, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, led by Francisco Diaz, the Washington Examiner reported.

After medical specialists reported that Sicknick’s true cause of death was from natural causes, the falsity of the police report became apparent, and Sen. Ron Johnson wrote a letter to the acting chief of the U.S. Capitol Police (USCP) to that effect, according to The Federalist on April 22. 

Sicknick “suffered two strokes and died of natural causes,” and there was “no evidence” that he “suffered an allergic reaction to chemical irritants,” the medical opinion document stated.

The fact that the Capitol Police had stepped forward with reckless claims only aggravated the overall appearance of the riots. They misrepresented their real results, which the Democrats used to launch a fierce campaign of persecution against the supporters of the then president, Donald Trump. 

Johnson said, “It remains unclear why the USCP released a statement regarding Officer Sicknick’s cause of death months before the medical examiner made an official determination.”

Sicknick was sprayed with a chemical substance about 2:20 p.m. on Jan. 6. He collapsed at the Capitol at 10 p.m. and was brought to a local hospital, the medical examiner said. On Jan. 7, around 9:30 p.m., he passed away. Although Diaz informed the Washington Post that Sicknick had no adverse reaction to chemical irritants and had no injuries, he said: “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

According to the Police Department’s first January statement, Sicknick was “injured while physically engaging with protesters” and that he “was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.” After the medical examiner’s findings were made public, the Capitol Police issued a statement indicating it accepted the findings but that his death occurred in the line of duty.

The medical examiner’s office specifically said that the term “natural” is “used when a disease alone causes death” and that “if death is hastened by an injury, the manner of death is not considered natural.”

“I’d like to take a moment of my time to ask for a moment of silence for my fallen colleague, Officer Brian Sicknick, who died from injuries he sustained in the line of duty defending the Capitol of our beloved democracy,” Dunn stated.

And Capitol Police Officer Aquilino Gonell said that “as a result of that day, we lost officers—some really good officers.”

Dunn’s lawyer, Mark Zaid, told the Washington Examiner, “Officer Dunn’s comments were in line with what his law enforcement colleagues believe, which is that they consider the events of Jan. 6 to have been a factor in Officer Sicknick’s death. Whether it was a primary cause or even just 1% is irrelevant. Officer Sicknick died in the line of duty. That’s all they need to know.”

When asked if Dunn disagreed with the medical examiner’s conclusions after the Washington Examiner pointed out the differences between Dunn’s claims and the medical examiner’s report, Zaid responded, “Officer Dunn’s statement reflects his personal view of how Officer Sicknick lost his life, and that was in the line of duty fighting against insurrectionists who tried to overthrow the U.S. government. His comments were not meant to be interpreted as a medical diagnosis.”

Despite the medical examiner’s report, the initial claim about Sicknick’s cause of death continues to circulate.

Sign up to receive our latest news!

By submitting this form, I agree to the terms.